Discover the World of Flag Football
Did you know that while youth participation in sports overall has declined 13% over the last decade, more kids than ever are getting involved with flag football?
Flag is more than just a game – it’s a values-focused activity and community for your child to learn and grow with. See for yourself what makes flag the right choice for your family.
Why Flag Football?
Offers Inclusivity: Flag is a great sport for both boys and girls of all ages – even the younger ones. There are no height or weight restrictions, making it a game everybody can play.
Favors Flexibility: Flag supports all skill levels and sports priorities – from fun competition to learning the fundamentals of football to prepare for a transition into tackle.
Promotes Fitness: Flag encourages physical activity and healthy movement, ensuring your child spends quality time away from the screen.
Introduces Football: Flag provides a natural entry point into the world of football, creating opportunities for your child to learn, engage and grow with the sport.
Teaches Teamwork: Flag instills the critical value of teamwork and teaches your child how to play and interact well with others.
Builds Confidence: Flag equips your child with the skills to build and grow their confidence levels both on and off the field.
Instills Sportsmanship: Flag teaches your child what being a good sport and team player looks like, emphasizing what it means to win and lose gracefully.
- Among surveyed parents of kids who play flag, teamwork was the #1 benefit associated with the sport.
- Over half of all surveyed parents agree that developing friendships with teammates helped contribute to their child’s love of the game.
- 72% of surveyed parents agree that flag football is useful and/or necessary before transitioning to tackle.
- 68% of surveyed parents agree that flag football should be available for kids of all ages.
- Over half of surveyed parents of current flag players agree that building confidence is a key benefit of flag.
Here's what parents say:
“The game of football has become more athletic, and flag is a great entry point to the game. My kids definitely play.”
- Nate Burleson, NFL Legend
“The sport teaches you that things don't always go the way you want. Sometimes life is hard and you have to be gracious in the way you deal with others no matter the circumstances.”
- Parent of a current player
Flag football creates a welcoming community for your child to be a part of and grow with across their journey with the sport.
Sense of Achievement
Flag football provides an avenue for your child to celebrate their achievements, from winning games, to growing their trophy collection, to tracking progress and improvement in skills.
Flag football is a key tool in helping your child develop life-long healthy habits – instead of staying inside playing video games, flag gets them up, gets them out and gets them exercising.
- NFL FLAG coaches must complete yearly health & safety trainings
- NFL FLAG coaches complete background check screenings prior to the start of each season
- The same standards and game rules apply to all NFL FLAG leagues
Did You Know?
Football is for all ages, genders, and skill levels. The NFL and its 32 clubs are committed to growing girls flag football around the world.